WINNER: RIDL CONSTRUCTION - FORDOUN FARM VILLAGE
Ridl construction was tasked with taking a lead role in the design and specification, while taking into account tight budgets and the clients desire to recycle the old buildings.
The following exciting challenges were expertly overcome:
- Existing structures that were not entirely square and level.
- Trying to do structural changes to concrete block structures.
- Conceptualising and connecting an underfloor heating system to the fireplaces.
- Recycling the roof timbers.
- Designing and making furniture and fittings from steel pipes.
- Incorporating relatively inexpensive brick and concrete elements into the kitchen designs.
- Sourcing and installing inexpensive yet appealing finishes, to floors, surfaces, and showers.
- Taking electrical energy consumption into account all along the way due to supply constraints.