SUPREME WINNER - WBHO GROUP FIVE ILEMBE JOINT VENTURE, KING SHAKA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND DUBE TRADEPORT
King Shaka International Airport (KSIA) opened for business on the 1st May 2010 and was the realisation of a dream first conceived in the early 1970's.
The project was subject to a very tight timescale for design, construction, integration and handover to the operator. These schedule pressures, together with the constraints of an extremely competitive fixed price, lump sum EPC budget contract, all made for a remarkably challenging project and had to be completed before the Fifa World Cup kicked off in June 2010.
And the challenge?
Simply to transform a barren area of South African landscape into a state of the art Airport within the large Dube Tradeport Development.
The green-fields airport took just 32 months to design, procure, build and commission and consists of:
- A passenger terminal building which handles both international and domestic passengers. KSIA has been designed to cater for 7.5 million passengers per annum
- A multi-storey car park for 1500 vehicles
- Long term parking for 4500 vehicles
- 23 admin and support buildings
- A five story office block
- A fuel farm and fuel infrastructure
- Control tower and offices
- A 3700m runway, associated taxiways and airfield infrastructure
- Multi level bridge
- All bulk services including two Waste Water Treatment Plants
Passenger air bridges, a baggage system, over 20 IT systems and aviation systems were also designed, procured, installed and integrated as part of the contract.
The Dube Trade Port consists of :
- Cargo terminal and perishables centre (capable of managing approximately 100 000 tons of cargo per annum from its launch in 2010, designed for expansion of the cargo facility to handle 400 000 tons)
- The Trade Zone (36 Ha of developable land for warehousing, light manufacturing facilities and related office facilities).
- The Support Zone (12 Ha of developable land comprising office complexes, business parks, commercial enterprises and hotels)
- The Agri Zone (80 Ha of developable land comprising an extensive area for the growing of perishables of export quality, land for packing facilities and associated.